- The laboratory will provide two preserved bottles for sampling, a bagged field blank kit, and nitrile gloves.
- The sample collector must wash their hands before sampling and wear nitrile gloves while filling and sealing the sample bottles. PFAS contamination during sampling can occur from a number of common sources, such as food packaging, certain foods and beverages, and cosmetic products including moisturizers. Proper hand washing and wearing nitrile gloves will aid in minimizing this type of accidental contamination of the samples.
- Avoid using felt-tip pens and markers including Sharpie®, adhesive products including sticky notes, plastic products including clipboards and binders, chemical ice packs, and clothing and footwear containing Tyvek® materials.
- Choose the best source. We recommend the KITCHEN SINK.
- Run the water for 3-5 minutes.
- Fill sample bottles TAKE CARE NOT TO FLUSH OUT THE PRESERVATIVE
- Close the bottle and gently shake until preservative is dissolved. Keep the sample sealed.
- Open field blank kit. Pour the bottled water into the field blank sample bottle. Close the bottle and gently shake.
CONDITION OF SAMPLE
- Keep samples cold (in refrigerator) and return to lab on ice within 24 hours of collection.